22/03/2021

Chooks-To-Go Roasts Drug-Free Chickens? Check!

For chicken ready to eat, in cities & many towns in the Philippines, my googling says we have Andok’s, Bojangles, BonChon, Chooks-To-Go, Chowking, Hot Star, Jollibee, Kfc, Mang Inasal, Max’s, and McDonald’s. A few I never heard.

In my hometown Asingan, Pangasinan, the very first to arrive as a fast-food setup is Chooks-To-Go. I don’t remember when, but that was years ago. The food store was right there across the street from the Danggay House, the home of our Nagkaisa Multi-Purpose Cooperative, located next to the town plaza. The Asingan town hall was also and still is nearby.

The Chooks-To-Go chickens a-roasting were delicious to see, but I thought, “They’re all the same, those ready-to-eat birds. Grown with antibiotics, the antibiotic being used in a quantity that turns it into a growth hormone. How do I know that? I’m an Agriculturist, UP Los Baños ’65 (yes, I’m 80), and a wide reader.

Here comes “Zero Antibiotics Chicken,” image above, a Facebook post of Bounty Agro Ventures Inc (BAVI), which owns Chooks-To-Go:

For us, health comes first.

I say, food is health – or not. Do you know that your rice grains may have pesticide residues from the farmer’s sprayings?

And a healthy Philippines is best achieved only with truly healthy chicken.

I will have to add to that. A healthy Philippines is achieved additionally with truly healthy rice – no residues of fungicide, insecticide, or weedicide.

That’s why we at Bounty Agro Ventures Inc (BAVI) always make the first move to offering healthy food.

Thank you, Ronald Mascariñas!

Our Zero Antibiotics Chicken is now produced by all our processing plants. More Filipinos now have access to the chicken that is “Laki Sa Alaga, Hindi Sa Gamut.” (Grown By Care, Not By Drug – my translation).

In 2019, we were the first Filipino company to rank among the world’s best poultry integrators when it comes to antibiotic stewardship.

That should read “zero antibiotic stewardship.” The usual modern poultry house feeds or injects antibiotics in small doses into live chicken flesh, whereby the antibiotic behaves like a growth hormone – and the chicken grows fast. Not healthy!

And in 2017, we were the first in the country to ever raise chicken without antibiotics – which is crucial to fight the fast rise of deadly, antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

So, it has been 3 years since those Chooks-To-Go chickens began to be grown without antibiotics. Now then, you don’t have to eat chicken that comes with free antibiotics!

All this and more for a healthy Philippines.

Yes, Chooks-To-Go, here’s to a healthy Philippines by means of healthy chickens! What did Father of Medicine Hippocratessay again? “Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine thy food.” Healthy foods, healthy bodies.

One last word: The restaurants I enumerated above all cook foreign breeds of chickens. If you asked me, my preference is the native chicken, not because I love my country but because I love the taste of the native – intense & flavorful with just a little salt or fish sauce (patis).

For now, let me have another order of Chooks-To-Go, please!@517

No comments:

Post a Comment

This Writer Sees, “When Farm Groups Go Up, Up Goes The Nation!” Kadiwa Is A Godsend – Whose Idea Do You Think?

National recovery is a prime concern of the Du30 Administration, and this is visible in the latest joint move of government agencies to gene...